Pets cannot keep a pose for very long, and my pastel pet portraits take many hours to complete. As a result, I paint pet portraits from digital images on CD, photographs or slides. I will need some good photographic reference material from which to work your portrait, in order to obtain a good likeness of your special pet. Sometimes I need to combine different parts of different poses, so the more good material I have to work from, the better.
Quality of Photos
You can send me the photos or slides that you have and I will tell you if I can paint a good pet portrait from them, with no obligation on your part. If you have taken digital photos you do not need to print them, just send me copies of the photos on a CD. If you do not have photos of your pet handy, and have to take some, you may want to read my Pet Photo Tips section in this website first for ideas on how to get your pet's best pose.
A popular size for portraits of one pet is 16" x 20" (image size). I also, however, paint smaller and larger portraits.
The Copley Society will be glad to send you my current fee schedule upon request. Estimates for any special size or option you may need (such as multiple pets, etc.) can also be obtained upon request. You will recieve a written estimate before I begin work.
1. Send the Copley Society the best photos or slides of your pet that you have (duplicates, not originals, or a CD with digital photos) with a brief written personality description of your pet, and your name, address, and e-mail and/or telephone number, plus the size of the portrait you would like.
2. After I review the material that you have sent, I will contact you to discuss the work.
3. Before I begin the portrait, you will receive a Commission Agreement with a written estimate and a rough black and white sketch and description of the proposed portrait.
4. Once the Copley Society receives the signed Agreement with the deposit, I will be able to begin your pet's portrait.
5. Your painting should take roughly 4-6 weeks to complete, depending on the number of commissions that are ahead of you. You may pick up you pet's portrait at the Copley Society, or have it shipped to you.
Pastel Pet Portraits, Matted
16"x20", head only $700
20"x24", head only $1000
16"x20", head and body $850
20"x24", head and body $1200
One or more clear photos are required (no "instant" photographs). Please provide duplicate copies, not original photos, and include a brief written personality description of your pet. 50% deposit required upon signing of the contract, with balance due upon receipt. Sales tax, packing, and mailing charges extra (customers may also pick up portrait at Copley). Fees for different or larger sizes, multiple subjects, or other options available upon request.